Thursday, September 11, 2008

Summer Reading Assignment: Senior Social

Between the two summer reading assignments, I enjoyed White Fang a lot more than I did Lord of the Flies. I enjoyed White Fang more because I love animals and stories about them, I truly enjoyed the transformation from heartless to loving on White Fang's part, and I was eager for each new page because of the uncertainty of what would come next. I agree with White Fang's view concerning whether man is inherently evil or not. As opposed to Lord of the Flies, White Fang supports the "evil people and circumstances mold character" point of view. I definitely agree with the "nurture" position as far as the books are concerned. I did not like the portrayal of the savage nature of man in Lord of the Flies at all. It implies that we all have it in us to kill and to be dangerously instinctual, which I do not believe. We are not born to kill!

No comments: