Thursday, January 29, 2009

Semester One: The Most Valuable Lesson

My favorite part of semester one was the reading and discussion of the "n-word" book. Not only did it teach me the all-important context of the word in history, but it also taught me just how much the "n-word" still impacts people today. In the episode of Boston Public that we watched in class, there was evident confusion and conflict over the usage of the word, and I see this same confusion and conflict in our society. Students become able to discern the meanings of the word based on its context after reading this book, and that is a vital skill. If one is ignorant about the meaning of the word, the feelings of others are hurt. One can become tangled and in quite a mess because of this misuse. On the other end of the spectrum, if one is informed and knowledgeable about various uses of the "n-word," then one will be able to have intelligent conversations and to use the word correctly. By reading this book, I became a better and more informed citizen. I know that a majority of students who read this book in the future will become a "stronger citizen" as well.

No comments: